I made these squares for Mother’s Day and they did not disappoint! I found them on Pinterest and the recipe comes from Rock Recipes. A homemade lemon filling with the buttery coconut crumble just melts in your mouth. If you like lemon & coconut these are to die for!
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – MODERATE
- Steps: 10
- Rating: Moderate
- 1 hour + 5 min. prep time
- Rating: Difficult
- Ingredients & availability
- 10 ingredients
- All ingredients you can easily find at any grocery store
- Rating: Easy
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowl
- 9 x 13 inch baking pan
Time: 1 hour + 5 min. prep + 45 min. bake time = 1 hour + 50 min. total
Servings: 50 squares
Calories/serving: ~ 117/square
- 2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups dried coconut, medium cut
- pinch salt
- 1 cup butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/3 cup cake flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- Zest of 2 large, or 3 small lemons, very finely chopped
- Juice of 2 large, or 3 small lemons
- 2 cups water
- 3 tbsp. butter
- pinch salt
- TO MAKE THE LEMON FILLING combine the corn starch, salt, cake flour, sugar and water in a medium saucepan.
- Cook over medium-low heat until the mixture thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of the thickened mixture over the beaten egg yolks and whisk together quickly. This tempers the egg yolks so that they do not scramble.
- Pour this mixture back into the pot and whisk it in quickly. Return the pot to the heat and stir constantly for a few minutes until the mixture is thick and evenly smooth.
- Whisk in the lemon juice and zest and remove from the heat.
- Finally whisk in the butter and set aside to cool while you prepare the crumble mixture.
- FOR THE CRUMBLE mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut and salt.
- Using your hands or a pastry blender cut in the butter until the it is completely incorporated into the dry ingredients.
- Press half of the crumb mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch well greased baking pan. Pour the lemon filling evenly over the bottom crumbs. Gently sprinkle the remaining crumbs over the lemon filling and press down gently.
- Bake in a 350 degree F oven for 40 – 45 minutes or until light golden brown in color. Cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares and serving.