I have always been intimidated to make Eclairs but once I gave this recipe a try I realized they aren’t that bad to make at all! The creamy filling and airy pastry just melts in your mouth! They are so good! If you’re looking for a baking project I suggest giving this recipe a try!
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – EASY – MODERATE
- Steps: 4
- Rating: Easy
- 1 hour prep time
- Rating: Moderate
- Ingredients & availability
- 10 ingredients
- All ingredients you can easily find at any grocery store
- Rating: Easy
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Electric beater
- Piping bag
- Mixing bowls
Time: ~ 1 hour prep. + 35-40 min. bake time + cooling = ~ 2 hours total
Servings: 9 – 15
Calories/serving: ~ 289 – 483 (depends on if you make smaller or larger eclairs)
I got this recipe from Taste of Home. I have adapated the directions slightly below. But you can find the original HERE.
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 larges eggs, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 packages (153 g) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 – 3 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 400°F In a large saucepan, bring water, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat; let stand 5 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Using a piping bag cut about 1.5 inches off the bottom and fill with the dough. Pipe dough into nine 4×1-1/2-in. strips on a greased or parchment lined baking sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden. Remove to a wire rack. Immediately split eclairs open; slice off and remove tops and set aside. Discard soft dough from inside. Cool eclairs.
- In a large bowl, beat milk and pudding mix according to package directions. In another bowl, whip cream until soft peaks form. Beat in sugar and vanilla; fold into pudding. Fill eclairs (chill any remaining filling for another use).
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in sugar and enough hot water to achieve a smooth consistency. Cool slightly. Frost eclairs. Store in refrigerator.