This salad is one of our all-time faves! Sautéed mushrooms in butter and garlic with aged cheddar over a bed of greens, it’s simply divine. I got this recipe from LCBO Food & Drink, it’s supposed to be a winter time recipe but we enjoy it all year long! It’s great with a barbecued steak and some red wine 🙂
LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY – EASY – MODERATE
- Steps: 6
- Rating: Moderate
- 25. min prep
- Rating: Easy
- Ingredients & availability
- 14 ingredients
- All ingredients you can easily find at any grocery store
- Rating: Easy – Moderate
- Cutting board
- Sauté pan
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups/spoons
Time: ~25 min.
Calories/serving: ~ 300
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and lightly crushed (I use minced)
- 3 cups (750 mL) mixed mushrooms, thinly sliced (preferably an equal mix of cremini, oyster and shiitake)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme, finely chopped (or 1/4 – 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 tsp (5 mL) soy sauce
- ¼ cup (50 mL) dry white wine (I tend to use sauvignon blanc or chardonnay)
- Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp (5 mL) white wine vinegar (sherry or red wine vinegar will also do)
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) olive oil
- 4 cups (1 L) winter greens, torn into bite-size pieces (arugula, escarole, romaine, red leaf lettuce or others)
- ¼ cup (50 mL) aged white cheddar, finely crumbled (I use Balderson)
- 1½ tbsp (22 mL) walnuts, coarsely chopped (sometimes we just leave these out if we don’t have any on hand)
1. In a large sauté pan heat butter over medium-high heat. Add garlic clove and cook for 1 minute.
2. Add mushrooms, thyme and a pinch of salt. Sauté for 5 minutes until mushrooms begin to soften and release their water.
3. Add soya sauce and white wine and continue sautéing for 5 minutes or until the mushrooms become golden. Discard garlic clove. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. In a medium bowl whisk together mustard, vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of salt.
5. Add greens and toss with vinaigrette, taste a leaf and adjust seasoning. If needed add another drizzle of oil or vinegar.
6. Divide greens on 2 plates, top each with warm mushrooms and sprinkle with cheddar and walnuts.